Thursday, June 23, 2011

Oregon to Mendocino 6-23-11

I actually woke up at 4:30 this morning. I did lay in bed until it looked light outside which was after 5. Made my coffee, ate instant oatmeal, took down camp and loaded the car then showered and I was on the road by 7 am. Not bad if I do say so myself.
I drove west through Grants Pass and took 199 down into California. I arrived at Crescent City roughly 4 hours later. It was cold and windy making some very pretty white caps.
I stopped at Elk Meadow and fixed myself some lunch but didn't see any Elk in the meadow. There were about half a dozen of them next to the road about a quarter of a mile before the meadow but I didn't get any pictures.
I didn't really go picture crazy today because the ocean was pretty hazy looking but at least it wasn't foggy.
When I got to the turn from 101 to highway 1 at Leggett I decided to do the drive through tree thing and forked over my five dollars to fit Shelby's little SUV through the tree. It was a pretty tight fit but I folded in the driver side mirror and had no trouble.
I also took some video today by balancing my little Rebel camera on the dash. Shelby has a stuffed turtle that rides up there so it made a pretty good camera holder. I played back the video I took and I realized that I was singing during filming UGH! The next video I took driving through the redwood tree I made sure not to sing but when I played it back I was trying to whistle and not doing a very good job of it. I also talked to myself while parking.
I finally arrived at the Inn just south of Little River about 5:45. What I long day. After unloading my stuff and freshening up a little I went to the Little River Inn for dinner. I ate in the bar watching to ocean. I did order a Margarita and I wanted a second one but I wanted to get back to my cabin in one piece.
I am still feeling the affects of the Oregon mosquitoes, I itch all over the place. How did they manage to bite my ankle when I had socks covering them the whole time?
My cabin at the Inn is called Play. It is decorated with vintage games. The games are actually here to be played with. One wall has word search wallpaper on top and chalkboard on the bottom. There is a hot tub in the woods but I forgot my swimsuit. The owner just suggested I go really late if I still want to use it but I haven't done that kind of thing for over 20 years and I don't think it is a good idea since I am alone. Maybe if I would've had another margarita? NOT.
I haven't decided what I am doing tomorrow but I do plan on staying in bed a little later. Maybe I will explore downtown Mendocino before leaving the area.
Susie






No comments:

Post a Comment